Yennai kathirikkai kuzhambu (eggplant/Brinjal gravy)
- Brinjals/egg plants 6nos slit open
- onion 1
- Tomato 1
- garlic 4 pods
- coriander powder 2 1/2 tbsp
- red chilli powder 1tbsp
- turmeric powder 1/2tsp
- tamarind paste 2tbsp
- salt to taste
To roast and grind
- channa dhal 1tbsp
- urad dhal 1tbsp
- coriander seeds 1tbsp
- fenugreek seeds 1/4tbsp
- cumin seeds 1 tbsp
- pepper 1tbsp
- asafoetida a pinch
- Red chillies 5-6nos
- coconut 2 tbsp
- gingelly oil / canola oil 4-5tbsp
- mustard seeds 1tbsp
- curry leaves a sprig
How to cook?
- choose fresh brinjals. Wash and slit them such that it looks like petal formation.
- fry the raw brinjals in about 2 tbsp of oil in a seperate pan and keep them aside.
- dry roast and grind the ingredients which are listed above. stuff the fried brinjals with the ground powder. keep the remaining powder aside as we are going to use it for the gravy.
- meanwhile, fry the cut onions, tomatoes and garlic in a kadai and grind it in a mixer into a thick paste.
- and now, heat 4-5tbsp of gingelly oil or canola oil.
- add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter.
- add curry leaves.
- add the thick paste of onion, tomato and garlic to it.
- add coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder,and remaining ground powder and fry it well.
- put the stuffed brinjals and mix it carefully such that the brinjals do not slit wide open.
- add tamarind paste and pour enough water
- finally add salt to taste.
- cook till the brinjal becomes soft and gravy becomes thicker in consistency.
- serve it hot with steamed rice and papad.