Vegetable Uthappam is one of the popular dosa varieties which is often topped with assorted veggies to enhance the taste. Uthappam is an ideal south Indian breakfast made with idly batter. idly batter is prepared with boiled rice and urad dal in a ratio of 4:1 along with a tablespoon of fenugreek seeds. Boiled rice and urad dal with fenugreek seeds are soaked separately prior to grinding. then, soaked urad dal is ground to a nice thick batter. later, soaked boiled rice is ground with a good amount of water into a thick batter. both the batters are mixed together with required salt to taste. The batter is left undisturbed for overnight fermentation.
- Idly batter 4cups
- water 1/4 cup
For the topping
- shredded carrot 1/2 a cup
- finely chopped onion 1/2cup
- finely chopped green chillies 2tbsp
- finely chopped bell peppers 1/2cup
- frozen peas 1/2cup
- frozed corn kernels little
- chopped coriander leaves little
- grated ginger 1tbsp
- idly podi to sprinkle
- cooking oil
- Idly batter would be very thick so you can use 1/4cup of water to make it little thinner in consistency.
- Heat a dosa tawa and and spread a laddle full of batter on it. The spread should be thick unlike the dosa spread. sprinkle it with all the vegetables and finally with little idly podi. add 1tbsp of oil along the sides of the uthappam. cover it with a lid.
- After 2 minutes, flip the uthappam and cook the other side.
- once the uthappams are ready. serve it hot with any chutney of your choice.