Spicy lamb curry in chettinad style
Recently, i had a huge craving for spicy lamb curry. So i cooked this for myself. Personally, i feel that cooking meat is simple when compared to cooking veggies. The problem starts when some one is strictly vegetarian in a family. we have to prepare both veg and non veg dishes :) This spicy lamb curry is cooked in chettinad style with freshly prepared masala powder ( kuzhambhu milagai thool) ,coriander powder and lamb stock. spicy lamb curry is an excellent combination for steaming rice.
- cut lamb meat 8 pieces
- chopped onion 1 no large
- chopped tomatoes 2 chopped
- garlic 8-10 pods
- ginger 1 inch
- green chilli 1
- curry leaves few
- turmeric powder 1tsp
- coriander powder 1tbsp
- red chilli powder 1/2 tsp
- freshly ground masala powder 2tbsp
- cooked lamb stock 2cups
- canola oil 3tbsp
Freshly ground masala powder (dry roasted and powdered)
- Coriander seeds 2tbsp
- red chillies 6
- cumin seeds 1tsp
- fennel seeds 1tsp
- cinnamon 1inch
- cloves 2
- black pepper 1tsp
- shredded coconut paste 2tbsp ( roasted in one drop of oil and ground into a thick paste)
- Wash the lamb pieces several times in clean water. Pressure cook the lamb pieces in about 4cups of water along with 1tsp of turmeric powder.
- Heat 2tbsp of oil in a kadai and saute onions, green chilli, ginger and garlic until the raw smell goes off. add tomatoes to it and fry. Grind this mixture into a thick fine paste without water.
- Once again, heat 2tbsp of oil in a kadai and splutter few fennel seeds and curry leaves in it. Now, you can add the ground onion mixture and saute until the oil separates from the sides.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder and the freshly ground masala powder and fry till you get a nice aroma of all the spices.
- Add salt to taste and lamb pieces. Mix thoroughly and add two cups of lamb stock to it.
- cook for about 10 - 15 minutes such that 1/4th quantity of water gets reduced. the gravy should be thicker in consistency. serve the spicy lamb gravy with rice or chapathi.