Chana masala is a popular Punjabi dish.The highlight of this dish is the slightest sour tinge. Chick peas is the key ingredients. Chana masala powder is readily available in the market. This powder contains a mix of garam masala, coriander, red chilli powder, dry mango powder and pomegranate powder. So i have used chole masala along with the usual spice powders to enhance the taste.
- Boiled chickpeas 2cups
- chopped onions 1cup
- chopped tomatoes 2 medium sized
- ginger garlic paste 1tbsp
- chopped Green chillies 2 nos
- turmeric powder a pinch
- coriander powder 1tsp
- red chilli powder 1/2tsp
- Chana masala powder 2tbsp (MDH brand)
- amchur powder 1/2tsp
- cardamoms 3
- cinnamon 1 inch
- cloves 2
- bay leaf 1
- fennel seeds 1tsp
- cumin seeds 1tsp
- lemon juice 1tsp
- salt to taste
- butter or cooking oil 1tbsp
- Soak chickpeas overnight. wash the chickpeas and pressure cook it with enough water for about 10minutes. do not make overcook it as it will become mushy. Do not drain the water as this will be used later to bring in a semi gravy consistency..
- Heat butter in a saucepan and throw in cumin seeds, cardamoms, cinnamon, cloves, fennel seeds and bay leaf.
- Add the chopped onions and saute till it turns golden brown. Saute ginger garlic paste into it until the pungent odour goes off.
- Fry in the chopped tomatoes and green chillies well.
- Add the turmeric, coriander, red chili, chana masala, dry mango powder and saute well. Add salt to taste.
- Now add in the boiled chick peas along with 2cups of remaining water to the masala mixture.
- allow it to boil for 5 minutes.
- You can put off the stove when 1/4th of the quantity has reduced and the consistency of the gravy has become thick.
- Add 1tsp of lemon juice and garnish it with coriander leaves