yellow split Moong dal curry
I prefer cooking this dish with garam masala so that the flavor is enhanced and is more appetizing. This curry is a great combination for garam roti or phulka. Moong dal is generally rich in protein and has low cholestrol. They are very mild and hence easily digestible. It is often cooked very fast and becomes mushy.
- yellow split Moong dal 1cup
- water 3cups
- turmeric powder a pinch
- chopped onion 1
- chopped tomato 1
- green chillies slit lengthwise 3
- ginger garlic paste 1tbsp
- garam masala 1tbsp
- coriander powder 1tsp
- red chilli powder (optional) 1/2tsp
- cumin powder 1tsp
- coriander leaves chopped few
- salt to taste
- canola/ sunflower oil 2tbsp
- Wash the yellow split moong dal and pressure cook it with 3 cups of water and a pinch of turmeric powder. do not overcook it as it becomes mushy.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry cumin powder, garam masala, onions, ginger garlic paste and green chillies in it.
- Add chopped tomatoes into it and saute well.
- Add coriander powder and a little red chilli powder into the mixture and fry well till the raw smell goes off. Add required salt to taste.
- Finally, add the cooked moong dal into it and cook it in low flame for about 3 minutes.
- Now, the curry is ready. garnish it with some coriander leaves and serve it hot with chapathi.