vegetarian (yam) fish fries
This is one recipe which my mom has been insisting me to try. Elephant yam is the key ingredient and i searched for it in every store at my place. oops! i am just tired searching for it. Finally, i got frozen yams but the vegetables were already diced into tiny cubes. usually, in this recipe, the elephant yams are cut into thin slices ( 1 inch size) and roasted in oil. here, i fried the tiny yam cubes in about 2tbsp of oil. I preferred thawing of the vegetable for about 1 minute in microwave. Then, i just completely pat dried yams using a clean cloth. These fries will go well with rasam sadam.. mmmm... yummy!!!
- elephant yam 1cup ( cut into tiny cubes of about 1/2 an inch size)
- fennel seeds 1tsp
- black pepper 1tsp
- red chilli powder 1tbsp
- turmeric powder 1/2tsp
- garlic 4pods
- salt to taste
- canola oil/sunflower oil 2tbsp
- Grind fennel seeds, black peppers, red chilli powder,turmeric powder, garlics, salt with 1tbsp of water into a thick paste.
- apply it to the yam cubes thoroughly and allow it to marinate for about 20 minutes.
- deep fry it in oil and serve hot with rice and rasam.