spicy egg gravy / muttai kuzhambu
Egg gravy is made in different styles. Usually, boiled eggs are added to the masala so that the eggs are nicely coated with the masala. sometimes, raw eggs are broken and poured into the gravy which gets cooked while boiling which i don't prefer.
- Boiled eggs 4 (slit into two halves)
- chopped onions 1
- chopped tomato 1
- chopped ginger 1tsp
- chopped garlic 1tbsp or 4 pods
- green chilli 1
- curry leaves few
- fennel seeds few
- turmeric powder 1/2tsp
- red chilli powder 1tsp
- coriander powder 2tsp
- garam masala 1tsp
- chicken curry masala 1tsp ( optional)
- salt to taste
- canola oil 2tbsp
- shredded coconut 3-4tbsp
- poppy seeds 1tsp
- fennel seeds 1tsp
- cumin seeds 1tsp
- Heat oil in a kadai and add few fennel seeds, green chilli and curry leaves to it.
- Add the chopped onions and saute well till the raw smell goes off. Add chopped ginger and garlic to it.
- Add tomatoes to it and fry well.
- Mix in the all the powders (turmeric, garam masala, red chilli, coriander powders and chicken curry powder) into it and start frying. do not scorch the masala powders. Add salt to taste. add 3 cups of water and allow it to boil for 5 minutes. add the ground coconut paste and cook it for 5 minutes so that the gravy becomes thicker in consistency.
- Add eggs to the gravy mixture and cook it for another 3 minutes.
- garnish it with coriander leaves ( i didn't have coriander leaves to garnish) and serve hot with rice.