Rajma is otherwise called as Red kidney beans. This is usually cooked with onions, tomatoes and spices and served with steaming hot rice (chawal). But i love this garam garam rajma curry with chapathis. I remember eating Rajma curry for the first time in a dhaba on the way to my hometown. No more stories to go, let's start with this easy n delicious recipe..
- Red kidney beans/ Rajma 2cups (i used light red kidney beans)
- finely chopped onions 1 1/2cup
- Finely chopped tomato 3nos
- Ginger garlic paste 2tbsp
- chopped Green chillies 2nos
- Garam masala 1tbsp
- cumin seeds 1tsp
- Coriander powder 2tbsp
- Red chilli powder 1tbsp(preferably Kashmiri Red chilli powder)
- Dry methi leaves 1tsp
- Dry mango powder 1/2tsp
- Cooked Rajma water 3cups
- butter 1tbsp
- salt to taste
- canola/ sunflower oil 2tbsp
- Soak the red light kidney beans in water overnight and pressure cook it for 2 whistles. Do not overcook it as the beans would break.
- Heat oil in a pan and spluttter cumin seeds. Add finely chopped onions and fry till it becomes transparent. Add ginger garlic paste, green chillies and saute well.
- Add garam masala powder to it. Saute finely chopped tomatoes into it. Add 1/2 cup of rajma water to this to avoid drying of the masala mixture. Add coriander powder ,red chilli powder and amchur powder to this and saute well. close the pan with a lid for a couple of minutes.
- Now, add the cooked red kidney beans along with some salt to taste and about 3 cups of rajma water. allow it to boil and 1/4th of the water has to reduce.
- Now add 1tsp of crushed methi leaves to it and mix well. Finally you can add butter into it and serve it hot with chapathi or rice.