kathirikkai bajji / brinjal chutney
I learnt this recipe from my mother. An excellent combination for staples like idly and dosai. This is more like chettinad kosamalli which my athai makes and tastes really yummy. kathrikkai bajji is a very simple, light and delicious dish which one must experience rather than explaining. I bet a big bowl full of bajji would disappear in minutes when served with dosas :)
- chopped brinjals 6
- chopped onion 2
- chopped tomatoes 3
- Red chillies 5
- turmeric powder 1/2tsp
- coriander powder 1/2tsp
- mustard 1tsp
- cumin seeds 1tsp
- curry leaves few
- salt to taste
- cooking oil 2tbsp
- Heat 2tbsp oil in a small pressure cooker. Add mustards, cumin seeds into it.
- Add chopped onions, red chillies, curry leaves and saute well for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook for about 2 minutes. add coriander powder, turmeric powder, into it. add salt to taste
- pour about 4 -5 cups of water and pressure cook it for 5 minutes.
- When it is cooked well, drain the excess water and keep this aside. smash the brinjals thorougly and add the drained water into it.
- serve it with dosai or idly.