Dum aloo is cooked with deep fried potatoes simmered in spice powders and creamy yoghurt. The highlight of this recipe is the nice aroma of fennel powder. Almost in all my cooking recipes, i used to add ginger and garlic for the exotic masala flavor. Well, dum aloo is not an exception.
- potatoes 3nos (peeled and cut into small cubes)
- red chillies 2
- cumin seeds 1tsp
- minced garlic 1tbsp
- besan flour 1tbsp
- asafoetida a pinch
- garam masala powder 1tbsp
- coriander powder 2tbsp
- red chilli powder 1tbsp
- fennel powder 2tsp
- turmeric powder 1/2tsp
- yoghurt 1/2cup
- chopped coriander leaves few
- shredded coconut 2tbsp
- green chillies 2
- ginger 1tbsp
- cashew nuts 6nos
- salt to taste
- canola oil 4tbsp
- heat 2tbsp of oil in a shallow pan and deep fry the cut potatoes and keep it aside.
- Take a cup of water and mix fennel powder, coriander powder, turmeric, asafoetida and chilli powder in it and set it aside.
- Grind coconut, green chillies, ginger and cashew nuts together into a thick paste.
- Heat 2tbsp of oil in a kadai and throw in the cumin seeds and allow it to splutter.
- fry red chillies and garlics along with garam masala powder. Add besan flour and fry slightly.
- Add water containing spice powders into the kadai. saute well. Then, add the ground coconut mixture and fry well.
- Now you can add fried potatoes along with salt to taste and also, 2cups of water.
- Allow it to boil for 5 minutes and then add yoghurt to it. Mix well and again simmer it for another 5 minutes till the gravy becomes thick.
- garnish with coriander leaves and serve.