Buttermilk biscuits :-)
Buttermilk biscuits are soft, fluffy and more old fashioned. These biscuits are made with very little salt and sugar. chilled buttermilk is used to knead the dough and the biscuits are coated with buttermilk prior to baking.These are very quick to make and baked in the preheated oven of about 450°F. The baking time is usually not more than 15 minutes.
- All purpose flour 1-1/2cup
- baking powder 2tsp
- baking soda 1tsp
- cold butter milk 3/4cup
- salt 1tsp
- sugar 1tbsp
- crisco vegetable shortening 1/4 cup
- Preheat the oven to 450°F
- Sieve the all purpose flour into a big mixing bowl. Add baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar into it and mix it well for about 3 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup of shortening to the flour mixture and start mixing with your fingers till you get fine granules. This will take about few minutes.
- Now, make a well in the granular flour mixture and add cold butter milk into it. start mixing it with a laddle or use your hands to knead it into a dough.
- Turn the dough onto a floured board and start folding the dough over on itself several times. dust some flour on the dough to avoid stickiness. flattened the dough for about 1/2 an inch thickness.
- use a biscuit cutter to make round shaped biscuits with a thickness of about 1/2 an inch.
- place the cut biscuits on a cookie sheet and coat it with buttermilk using pastry brush. bake it for about 13-15minutes till you get soft, tall, brown buttermilk biscuits.