The very thought of a Vegetable cutlet reminds me of my college days when I used to spend most of my time at Latha's place. Latha's mom is an awesome cook. I happened to visit her house once on a special event. I directly headed into the kitchen sniffing about the wonderful aroma that was emanating from the kitchen. I saw about 3o cutlets each of equal size, and shape arranged beautifully on a huge plate. For a few morments, I could not take my eyes off of it. I learnt the recipe from her and over a period of time, I learnt to make tasty cutlets with consistent shape and size.
- Potatoes 3 large nos
- carrot 2 nos chopped
- beans 10 nos chopped
- beetroot 1 small chopped
- green peas 1 hand full
- Mustards 1tsp
- cumin seeds 1tsp
- fennel seeds 1tsp
- garam masala powder 1/2tbsp
- ginger-garlic paste 1tbsp
- Onion 1 large, finely chopped
- Coriander powder 1 tbsp
- Red chilli powder 1 tbsp
- green chillies 2nos, finely chopped
- bread crumbs 2 cups
- maida flour 3tbsp in water
- canola oil 250ml
- Boil all the vegetables (potatoes, carrots, beans, beets, peas) in a pressure cooker.
- remove the peeled potatoes from the water as soon as it is cooked, so that it could be prevented from absorbing water
- mash the potatoes and keep it aside
- squeeze the boiled vegetables (carrots, beans, peas and beets) in a muslin cloth to drain the excess water
- heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan
- add mustards, cumin seeds, fennel seeds to it.
- add ginger garlic paste and fry it.
- saute the chopped onions and green chillies in it.
- now, you can add garam masala, coriander powder and red chilli powder and fry it well.
- add the squeezed vegetables to this mixture
- add salt to taste
- saute it well
- Now, add this vegetable mixture into mashed potato and mix it well.
- Make this into small dumplings of desired shape.
- heat oil in a kadai or a shallow pan
- now dip the vegetable dumpling in maida and then immediately dust with bread crumbs and deep fry in oil till it turns brown
- serve hot with tomato sauce